Start Your Career with the DeLand Police Department
“Wear our Badge Feel the Honor”
Open House Recruitment Day: The DeLand Police Department conducts an “Open House Recruitment Day” the fourth Saturday of each month in an effort to provide on-going opportunities for persons interested in a career with the DeLand Police Department. Open House Recruitment Day serves three primary purposes: 1) Overview of the entire hiring process will be covered; 2) Informational session for candidates to explore career opportunities with the DeLand Police Department; and 3) First two phases of testing will be offered.
During Open House, Police Recruiters will administer the following:
- Pre-Employment Screening Application (Short Form)
- Signed Liability waiver form.
- Physical Agility Test (PAT)
- Written Test (only offered contingent upon successful completion of the PAT)
- Long Form Police Application (only offered upon successful completion of PAT and written examination)
What to Bring: All candidates must bring a valid driver’s license for admittance. Candidates should arrive for the day dressed in appropriate workout clothing (shorts, t-shirt and running shoes) to complete the PAT. Pencils/pens will be provided to the candidates to take the written examination.
What to Expect: The day will begin with an informational session which will cover the hiring process, career opportunities, pay and fringe benefits offered to members of the DeLand Police Department. Once this portion is completed candidates will be provided a DPD short form pre-employment screening application. The purpose of the short form screening application is to ensure candidates meet the minimum requirements to begin testing. Upon being successfully screened, candidates will also be required to sign a liability waiver prior to being allowed to participate in the physical abilities test (PAT). Screened candidates will then be administered the (PAT). All candidates who pass the PAT will be administered the National Police Officer Selection Test (POST). The National Police Officer Selection Test (POST) is an entry-level basic skills test that helps law enforcement agencies select the most qualified applicants. This test ensures that candidates possess the basic cognitive skills necessary to successfully perform the job. The POST is a valid job-related test designed specifically for law enforcement use. It measures these basic skills: reading comprehension, grammar and incident report writing. Candidates must acquire a minimum score of 70% on the examination to pass this phase. All candidates who pass the written examination will be eligible to move forward in the hiring process and will receive a long form police application to be completed and returned to the recruitment unit within three weeks of testing. Upon receipt of the completed long form application candidates will be scheduled for the next step in the hiring process which is the oral board examination.
Upcoming Dates for Open House Recruitment Day:
- Saturday, May 28th, 2022 *CANCELED DUE TO MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND*
- Saturday, June 25th, 2022
- Saturday, July 23rd, 2022
- Saturday, August 27th, 2022
The following requirements must be met before being offered a position as a sworn police officer with the DeLand Police Department.
- Be at least 21 years of age at time of swearing in. Exceptions may apply. Contact a recruiter for more information.
- Be a U.S. citizen.
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED)
- No convictions, felony, or misdemeanor involving perjury or false statements.
- No dishonorable discharge from any branch of the armed services.
- Be of good moral character.
- Pass a physical abilities test.
- Pass a pre-background investigation.
- Pass a written examination, Oral review board.
- Pass the completed background process which includes:
- The following will be performed:
- Financial & Credit history check
- Neighborhood check
- Employment verification
- Polygraph examination
- Drug screen & Medical examination
- Psychological examination
After successfully meeting all of the above requirements, the applicant may be immediately offered a position or placed on an eligibility list for up to one year. Once the applicant has been selected for hire, he or she must submit to a drug screening, physical examination, and psychological evaluation. Full-time Police Officers are paid a minimum of $22.42 per hour or $48,965.28 annually plus eligible salary incentives.
Any questions can be directed to Sergeant Josh Santos of the DeLand Police Department Recruiting Unit either by email at DPDrecruiting@deland.org or by phone at 386-626-7470.
"The DeLand Police Department is an equal opportunity employer"